Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - settle for an engineering course or retake exam?
View Single Post
Old 29-02-2012, 01:24 PM
QXP

Quote:
Originally Posted by suppertime View Post
Hello everyone, I have a place in NUS's mech eng. There are many things on my mind that I wish to get opinions for.

After reading the threads here, it seems, in general, engineers are underappreciated and underpaid. Given that I'm in NS at the moment, I have intentions to retake my A levels to qualify for harder-to-get-in courses such as B A, accountancy. Then again, will such a degree be more valuable?

People say that a mech eng degree is rather flexible. Which industries can they be employed besides the financial sector? Will a 2nd upper do?

Does a mech eng degree offer a decent level of financial upward mobility? Can any kind soul hit me with the facts and figures?

I heard that a private candidate of the local GCSE A levels will not be subjected to the same moderation that local JCs get. Hence the former's certificate is not as recognised/valued. Is it true?

Comments are highly appreciated. Thank you!
People here can tell you about Engineering and Financial markets for now and maybe project 6-9 months max down the road, but nobody can tell you what the labour market would be like after 5-6 years when you finish NS and Uni.

Industrial trends are notorious to predict and their labour supply & demand is impacted by even more factors that are beyond prediction. All you will get are many individual opinions from different people, not much use for your case if you ask me.

Saying that, I can only emphasize to you that Accountancy is completely different from Banking/Finance, do not make the decision to study Accountancy on the basis that you will be working in the banking/investment/management consultancy field.