Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Beware of People who claim to have "Doctorates"
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2008, 10:32 AM
e--

Default 2562

Discipline is finance/economics - as I've mentioned, i don't think it is hard a PhD (not DBA which I have no clue about)in my field at all. just study a few more years and write a few more papres and get published. I'm talking about PhD's here - where you are expected to submit a peer reviewed thesis and to notionally "contribute to the body of knowledge".

Like you said - people who do their PhD's do so out of interest + pursuit of knowledge. However, you get three-five years to write a thesis and if your supervisor is any good - you should expect to pass (maybe not with distinction - but a pass nonetheless)

In academia as well - you also need luck to make it famous - instead if languishing on page 89 of some obscure journal.

On honorary PhDs - you don't "get one" unless you are someone prominent in the community. Granted - another "back door" way is to donate a huge amount of money to the school and you sould get one as well... lol. Like you said - its a status thing but i sure would prefer an honorary one than a real one...