Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Guideline in Job Search
View Single Post
Old 28-02-2012, 02:15 PM
tony_graver

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffLKS View Post
Do you just apply to whatever jobs which you're qualified in or only on those that you're interested in?

Why am I asking? I had graduated 1 year ago with only temp jobs experiences under my belt, and have been on looking for job coming 2 months now. I know the industry I am interested in but seem that the openings are rather few.

My friend recommended that the best method is to apply to any jobs which you're eligible for, so you can then choose to take in any opportunities when you're being considered and hired. In the same time, I could also solidify my interview skills.

So I hope to hear from you guys for opinions and comments. Hopefully everyone who are jobless like me could achieve their dream job soon.
Ideally yes, you should only apply for jobs you really want.

But let’s be practical about this, I assume your CV isn’t stellar and just normal grad degree since you work temp for 1 year already. The average ratio of applicant to fresh grad job is about 80 : 1 in Singapore.

This means that assuming all things equal with an average cert, you will need to apply about 80 jobs before getting 1 offer. If you start being picky about what job to apply, you can imagine you could be really out of job for years. And also employers don’t like people with long unemployment period, the more you wait the harder it gets.

If you can continue to live off your parents indefinitely, by all means go ahead and wait, otherwise you just have to take the 1st offer that comes along. Companies usually give 3 – 5 days for you to revert, so very unlikely you will get a few offers simultaneously to compare and choose.