Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lying about previous salary in job application form
View Single Post
Old 16-04-2022, 02:58 PM
Verified Member

gac is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Lying about previous salary in job application form

Am in a dilemma. Hope you guys can advise.

I recently got hired and am starting the new job in 2 weeks.

Prior to the interview, I had to complete a job application form that asked for current and previous basic salary.

I put 4k (correct fig.) for current job in the non-profit sector but for previous job at a mid-sized MNC, I put 4.6k when it was actually 4.2k. Honestly, didn't think it's a big deal until I was actually hired. Didn't lie about current because usually new employer will ask for latest (current) pay slip and my previous job was 1-2 years ago.

I wanted to see if new employer will base the offer on my current or previous, which is an ugly common practice in Singapore. Turned out that the new job offered me 25% higher. The HR said they don't make offer based on past salaries.

The new job is a mid-sized MNC but in a completely different industry from my previous.

Now I worry daily about being caught on that lie but I don't think I can come clean at this stage. In fact, I even negotiated during the offer and got an increment.

Not sure if the new employer has done the background check. What do you think I should do?

Last edited by gac; 16-04-2022 at 03:00 PM.