Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career Advice Needed
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2022, 05:28 PM

HalpMe is on a distinguished road
Default Career Advice Needed

Hi all,

I am a 29F, local uni grad seeking career advice from all. I currently work at a public-associated firm as a contract staff, with my contract ending soon this November and I wouldn't be re-contracting. Reasons being:

1. No opportunities to recontract in current firm
2. Not very interested to continue my current role (I didn't hate the job scope, but also didn't like it very much)
3. No career progression.

I have been considering to switch to the private sector in hopes to find a permanent job and hopefully higher pay, however it hasn't been easy (7 months on-off application), because I think my current skill sets in this job isn't very relevant to other sectors.

I have been offered a role at a small firm, in which I would be doing similar things as what I am doing now, in a different industry. I am on the fence as to whether to accept the offer or not because:

a. Lower expected annual pay (no bonus + increment according to reviews despite stating performance bonus)
b. Not sure if this is what I want to do for life, or am I just seeking the easier way out to look for something that is related. Although I am quite sure it is going to help me look for better jobs in private sector in the future (but also related to this field)
c. Interviewers seemed to have a bad impression of me (I am really not sure why they offered me )

Should I go for the job? Or should I wait for another opportunity? I was also considering doing a switch to tech and took a course in that, and it piqued my interest but I realized I am still really far away from being employable. Considering taking courses for a mid-career switch as well.

Would really appreciate serious advice! Thank you

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app