Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - I need honest advice. Jump to banking or stick in insurance
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2022, 10:20 AM
Unregistered

Default I need honest advice. Jump to banking or stick in insurance

Ex banker in consumer banking sales line here. This industry is not for the faint hearted. Its going to be an endless journey where you will run like a hamster on the wheel for 3 quarters and probably slow down on the last quarter before the cycle starts again. To survive and climb fast, you will need to commit a lot of hours and energy, including weekends. In general its a young man's game or for people with no parenting commitment for their kids. If you aspire to settle down and have kids it may not work so well for you. Having said so there are still some outliers but those only apply to just a handful. If you have the innate ability (e.g. charm, looks) it will definitely be a lot easier for you to hit your target. In wealth sales, the secret is to hang on in your team as long as possible since its gonna be a last man standing game. The rest goes, you take over the portfolio of clients or the better clients.

Should you still decide to enter, I would advise joining mortgage sales departments since clients will still need to reach out to bankers and the power skew is in favour of the banker, and its less disrupted by fintech platforms.