Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career as Teacher
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2022, 09:10 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hello,

I just started my journey joining this fraternity since the past 3 months. I do have 5 years bond to serve and have a couple of questions hoping to hear from your sharing.

1. Will teachers be penalised or marked down if the students were not able to perform and give results? Eg. Considering I am a BT, my school is very result driven in ensuring the students get excellent grades.

2. How will we be rank as a BT? I don’t quite understand how this ranking system works or the kind of game plan. Eg. Are we going to be marked down every time we screw up. I always believe we learnt from mistakes. It’s almost impossible to be perfect especially managing the crazy teacher workload. :/

3. Please share do some tips to safeguard myself as a BT. Obviously, I’m always being arrowed within my meeting discussion sharing, FTship, dept, cca and committee. Sad reality!

I really enjoy teaching with my students so far. I hope to survive long enough to clear my bond and not burnt out or give up halfway. I try to be positive for the most part but at times I’m already feeling annoyed and tired being arrowed all the time.

Happy Upcoming March Hols Teachers!
Welcome to the teaching fraternity. We all make mistakes, but whether it is serious enough to bring it up during ranking depends on whether these mistakes are repeated frequently, whether they are avoidable, and also what the consequences are.

I would say most schools are reasonable enough to consider the fact that you are BT as a mitigating factor, but some things cannot be compromised regardless. Some of these non-negotiables include safety of the students, integrity of exam protocols, as well as baseline expectations of an educator.

Ranking is done by comparing your performance with others that are in the same subgrade as you. You will not be discussed with teachers who are more senior in the GEO4/GEO5 category, as they will be ranked against their peers in the same subgrade. Schools rarely assign C- or D grade to the lowest subgrade as the expectations are also much lower than those of the higher subgrades, unless you are really performing way below expectations.

Some tips I have would be:
♦ Stay student-centric but don't overcommit yourself to acts that you know cannot be sustained in the long run (easy to burn out)
♦ Always find time to mark. It piles up easily.
♦ Not sure, clarify. Keep your RO and ICs informed.
♦ Keep track of deadlines. There are a lot of deadlines and it is important to give a good impression by sticking to the deadlines given instead of missing them.
♦ Do not be calculative and make friends even across your department. Help when you are able to; it really makes your life a lot easier in the long run.
♦ Instead of thinking you are being arrowed, be clear and selective of your preference. You cannot siam work one, esp with so many students and teachers who will inevitably get Ag+ and others have to cover. Instead, arrow yourself in areas that you are good at, so that you can deflect other arrows.

I would say teaching involves a lot of pple skill. Manage parents, manage students, manage colleagues, manage bosses.