Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How much are you earning per annum?
View Single Post
Old 31-01-2012, 12:34 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Recently got approached to join the corporate finance team of a local listed company. (Industry: Oil & Gas) Anyone have any comments/advice?

Job scope:
1. Evaluate M&A opportunities
2. Manage debt/equity raising/loan refinancing
3. Evaluate projects / Provide financial analysis whenever necessary
4. May need to assist CFO in other tasks (except stat accounting)
5. May need to help out Investor Relations whenever necessary
6. Main contact point/manage banking relationships (include discussions on cashflow hedging, debt refinancing, eskrow/project accounts etc)

Is it going to be an easier life than what I am doing now ? (junior-mid level in Corp Fin team at an offshore IB) Have been in banking line for 5 years. Started off 3 years in Corp banking roles before moving to IB. Currently drawing S$150k base.
If your IB is top-tier in Commodities i.e. JPM, GS, MS or even standchartered, I would stay. Exposure is more much better, and learning curve much steeper on IB side via more clients projects and international experience. And much better pay as your contribution to the IB wallet/revenues is much bigger.

I seriously doubt a local listed firm has the clout to grow into a much bigger player, at most regional level. The landscape is pretty dominated by China and India oil players with much deeper pockets for growth.

Of course being on the corporate side is nice in the sense that the bankers will treat you like a king e.g. bring you to nice Chicago Morton dinner, then KTV with beautiful SYT hosts, etc...