Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Advice for a troubled Designer
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2022, 12:29 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleinad View Post
lucrative careers in the banking sector = RMs = SALES

designers = craftsperson

what u are trying to achieve is totally different. designers or people in the creative field (like myself) are being squeezed left right centre. our wages are stagnant and truth be told, most of my graphic designer friends in my batch (I'm 40) ended up abandoning their graphic design jobs. why? coz u literally slog for minimal pay. it's art. not science. and beauty is in the eye of the wallet-holder. your client will, in one way or another, dictate how your art will look like else he wont pay up. also, even if u win this round, it is likely he wont engage your services or find ways to fire u (it happened to my friend recently). so, who lose big time in the end? the graphic designer leh.

the creative arts space is not appreciated in SG, unlike in say, the US or other eurpoean countries where the creative arts is thriving due to their historical and cultural appreciation for the arts. i have a cousin who is a high level ballet teacher and she is also suffering.

finally, with free design software like canva and design automation, IMHO, the path of a graphic designer is very bleak and has no future in SG.
Bro here very free digging old threads haha