Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Mid career switch - social worker
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2022, 11:42 PM

Cleinad is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLY View Post
Hi, I am interested in joining the social service sector as a social worker. Would like to ask about the following:
- I understand that qualifications are required which I currently do not have as my degree is in other fields. Is there any way to join the sector besides applying for the PCP when it opens at the end of the year?
- to those working as a social worker out there, what do you all spend most of your time in a day doing?

Thanks a lot for any helpful advice in advance.
I have no experience being a paid social worker, but in my own free time, I had chaired and organised year-end social projects for a non profit organisation for 5 years previously. in my marketing roles, I had leand and organised CSR projects for 6 years as well.

all I can say is, I've done social work, and if passion is not the topmost reason why you are choosing this path, then it isn't for you.

my cousin is a social worker, and she shared with me that you need to be very strong emotionally as well as your mental strength. there will be days that are very tough - I recalled her telling me there were many nights she literally camped out at a hdb play ground to wait for her juvenile delinquent to return home in order to catch her lol. are u willing to do that?

lastly, this is the pay scale:
https://www.ncss.gov.sg/docs/default...vicesector.pdf