Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Whats your net worth
View Single Post
Old 26-01-2012, 08:33 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Another case of sour grapes. There are rich people who are happy too. In fact, there are more poor people who are miserable and unhappy than rich ones who are as miserable. It's a well researched topic. Go google.

And many people are miserable regardless of their wealth.

For me, I'd rather be rich and miserable than poor and sad.
His view is of moderation. I wouldn't classify him as a sour grape. However, you've pointed out something interesting, that is the rich is better off in general. I hold a similar view, if u look at Abraham maslow hierarchy of needs, the poor have problems satisfying these needs. The rich problems are more related to non critical wants. I've quoted the 3k salary example, now let me give another example. I know of a family of 5 whose household income is 2.5k, the 3 children are still schooling. Their income is just sufficient to buy food, pay utilities, etc, there is no extra to pay for tuition. The parents can't speak English, never studied pass psle. They want the best for the kids but don't know how to achieve that ... It's this poverty trap I am talking about which our singapore youngins don't see, and the elites have casually forgotten.