Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Really that bad for engineers?
View Single Post
Old 16-01-2012, 11:57 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
No. Those engineering students who do that do it because they can't succeed in engineering so they think that they can do better in finance (no guarantee that they can succeed in finance anyway) because of all the good news they hear on online forums and news of fresh grads earning 10k in banking while news about engineering is all gloomy and moody.

Oh and you don't need an MBA or biz/acc degree to get into finance/banking. Banks/financial industry take in anyone (even engineering graduates or arts graduates) as long as you are good enough. Same thing applies, you just need to get your foot in and work your way up (same for any industry really).

If you really want to do finance, then you can try applying for entry-level back office positions in the financial industry and excel in the interview if you get one. No harm trying.

That's silly. If you want to do finance. Go straight in. Don't waste your time. They won't want you once you get older unless you have a very good MBA.

You like programming. Are you considering a career in quant finance then? I'd like to warn you first. You need to be very good in programming AND mathematics to do well in the field. By good, I mean you should be at the top end of first class honours (not those GPA scrape through kind of first class honours).

To get a sense, pls take a look at this solutions manual for stochastic calculus for continuous models via this link. These are solutions to questions from shreve's textbook. If after looking at it you think "well, with training, I can handle". By all means carry on. Otherwise, please just do an MBA and do normal company valuation stuff. Less math.

Solution Manual for Shreve 2_°Ù¶ÈÎÄ¿â
alright. thanks a lot for the replies and the insight.

no, my programming and math isn't that good that I can handle the stuff u posted on that link. atleast not right now.

anyway, yes, ideally i would want to be in finance and i have already considered joining back office positions in financial industires. just that i haven't really applied because I had a friend who tried for months trying to get into back office but didn't get a single interview. and he had 3rd class honours (not much but still better than me) so i readily assumed i won't stand a chance too.

personally, and i don't mean to brag or anything, i do wish i can land at least an interview because excelling at interviews is one of my strengths. right now, the problem is that all the jobs I've applied for, I haven't managed to get even a single interview.

then again, it's been only less than a month since I started applying. I'll let you guys know of any developments. thanks a lot once again for all the advice.