Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Really that bad for engineers?
View Single Post
Old 16-01-2012, 10:14 PM

Anonymous is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
yeah. i know IT isn't easy. Have always heard that from everyone. Anyway, i'll clarify.

I want to do IT right now, particularly programming. Programming because I'm good at it and I have had a lot of experience with it (for a ntu eee grad at least). so for at least 3 years, i would like to do that. after that, get an MBA and move to finance. isn't that most engineering students do?

i'd eventually like to be in finance. but i can't be in finance from the start cos i am a eee grad. i feel i have to get experience first instead of just doing some biz/acc degree in sim/mdis
That's silly. If you want to do finance. Go straight in. Don't waste your time. They won't want you once you get older unless you have a very good MBA.

You like programming. Are you considering a career in quant finance then? I'd like to warn you first. You need to be very good in programming AND mathematics to do well in the field. By good, I mean you should be at the top end of first class honours (not those GPA scrape through kind of first class honours).

To get a sense, pls take a look at this solutions manual for stochastic calculus for continuous models via this link. These are solutions to questions from shreve's textbook. If after looking at it you think "well, with training, I can handle". By all means carry on. Otherwise, please just do an MBA and do normal company valuation stuff. Less math.

Solution Manual for Shreve 2_°Ù¶ÈÎÄ¿â