Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Really that bad for engineers?
View Single Post
Old 16-01-2012, 08:21 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
yeah, that is my eventual plan la. to go into the finance sector. but i feel i need some engeering experience first, and i would just like to work for 2-3 years before furthering my studies.
Make up your mind. Do you want to do IT or finance? Trying to do a little of everything gets you no where.

If you want to do finance then just start in finance from the start. Why start in IT for a few years only to start thinking about doing finance? By then, you would have no experience in finance and have to start from the bottom again.

If you want to do IT then stick to IT and become the best. IT consultants earn quite well even though they only open mouth talk a bit (of course need to be good to be consultant la). Since you say you are extremely interested in IT, go and find out what is it about IT that you are interested in / good in. Is it programming? IT security? Cloud? Networking?

The thing about IT is that it keeps changing hence you have to keep learning. Are you willing to keep learning and go for certs to constantly improve yourself (well, you should be if you are really as interested in IT as you claim to be)? If not, then don't do IT since your knowledge will become obsolete very quickly and can be replaced by the tons of FTs around. If you are, then you won't die that badly doing IT if you become really good at it.

Warn you first, IT is not for the light-hearted and definitely not for people who are wishy-washy about what sort of career they want to have. Really, go and think about what you want to do for your career and FOCUS. Being half here half there is useless. You will only end up as someone who is below average at IT and below average at finance and being below average at anything (even in finance) doesn't pay well.