Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Starting salary for human resource related
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2012, 11:37 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by wike View Post
No, it seldom happens. I used to work in Towers Perrin (now merged to Towers Watson), competitor for Mercer, HR Consultants like mentioned by Liverpool are very talented people who most of the time are very Finance oriented, they can sell at Board presentation and yet be extremely technical when needed.

This is completely different from your typical HR person who is a numerical illiterate and can barely write a simple report without grammer errors, much less engage the Board. Some consulting partners are headhunted and parachuted to senior HR Directors, but a normal HR Manager or Director seldom switch to Consultant or Partner, the pace is too fast and intellectual power required is too much for them.

The switch between these 2 industries only happen at junior level where young professionals are still job hopping around to see which industry is more suitable.

HR Consultants (not recruitor) are completely in a different league compared to normal HR people.
Hi Wikie,

I’m now in Corporate HR in a German MNC for 1.5 years and the work is getting unbearable because it is very monotonous and admin based, one of the options I’m looking for is either joining HR consultancy firm or a recruitment agency.

Recruitment agency is essentially sales job and I’m not sure I want to go on a commission job now, so that leaves only consultancy if I still want to stay in HR related. In terms of company, any major difference in Mercer, Hay, TW, Aon, HRBS etc.? Career prospects is it different from HR?

I am also not good with numbers, is there a position in HR consultancy where I don't have to deal with calculation, spreadsheets, SAP ? I prefer doing things like engagement, leadership, recruitment of managers / directors etc.