Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How is life as a doctor in Singapore?
View Single Post
Old 29-12-2021, 07:59 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
FM training spots in singapore is very hard to get. I am not ashamed to share my story. I am born and bread in Singapore, average student I will say , served my housemanship here with no issues, had good feedback from my seniors, managed to get good recommendations from HOD and bosses to apply to FM but I was rejected. I didnt get in.

Then when I saw the list of people who got in , I was shocked, in the list was my houseman who were incompetent and rather inefficent ( not just me but according to fellow colleagues as well ) , quite a fair no of Malaysians got in - I have to say polyclinic has a large no of them . It was sad that I was not given a chance to be a FM doctor and I really wanted to work in FM.

Regardless, I decided not to apply again as the system left me very dissapointed. Who regulates these decisions? How do we know there is no bias towards people with personal connections? Why isit that me and fellow friends with good feedback and testimonials didnt get in , but people with bad feedback, bad rep as HOs can get in?

Heard certain cluster used to flash names of applicants and ask their residents opinions. Is this a fair way? ( I am not sure how true this is ). I will still work in FM, get my relevant certs and strive to be a good family physician . But I have to say , if you need primary care doctors, perhaps first and foremost review the way u accept people.
Be clear , what ure looking for , dont have bias in selections.

Funnily enough , someof these " questionable" people who joined, did not sign on with polys and some left for private practise shortly thereafter once getting full cert and the postings rotations they wanted
You apply how many times?
You apply to which cluster?

I local SG studied overseas , come back as MO 6 months apply get in liao.
But its a time when FM not very popular. And maybe i lucky, say correct things to appeal to correct pple during interview. I remember i wrote a beautiful essay about my motivation to join FM.

NHG quite irritating for me. The interviewer asked me ' what is it so different about you that we must select you for residency, there are tons of people out there applying' Piang ey, i remember that guy name forever. Need so cocky or not?
I guess i didn't suck his balls enough with my replies.

anyway, went to a better residency program IMHO. Meet some great folks.

Dun give up la. My R1 resident told me she apply 4 times before she got in last year.
This is real working life. play the game , appeal to correct people , apply again.

no residency also never mind , can GDFM -> M.med as what someone said.

Pls join polyclinic. we need hardcore singaporeans and to get rid of the many RP from malaysia, Indian and philipines. They ARE TERRIBLE. I fear for my patient's life.

AKI tcu 3 months repeat renal panel
25 year old young hypertension start amlodipine. Till i do blood test found out egfr 10 , he got lupus nephritis.
Fast AF can repeat ECG 3 months later. really WTF
Pat 80 year old on 5 hypertensive BP 110/70, can just repeat meds TCU 6 months.

Last time no manpower no choice hire them. Now very hard to sack them .