Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Really that bad for engineers?
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2012, 03:03 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
With all due respect, I am more interested in paying off my mortgage & bills than some nebulous “long term welfare of a nation” concept. My nation will not offer to help me pay my bills when I’m down. The fact that you need to resort to political polemics & emotive language of this sort reflects the lack of concrete evidence to support your cheerleading of the engineering field.

I have serious doubts on your assertion. 6 figure salary (I assume you are referring to100k to 200k range) is usually a AVP or junior VP in a banking/investment firm. Most people at this level are more like in their late 20s or early 30s, so they are likely to be earning higher than you by the time they reach your age.

First of all, I have no doubt you are very experienced in the engineering field, but you seriously need to have a better understanding of the banking/investment industry needs before pontificating on things you have little knowledge of. Generally, engineers are very much preferred because of their rational & sequential thinking as well as their ability to conceptualize complicated models in Math. This has nothing to do with whether you learn anything about Finance in school, Finance graduates enjoy very little advantage compared to an engineering grad if you ask me.

In fact, certain Finance majors like accounting are shun on because of the perception that they are too rigid and unable to visualize the numbers as it relates to the deal. I’m probably not explaining myself very well here, but engineers who have made the switch can probably help out.

Most sectors are hire and fire. Like above poster mention, the semicon industry fires far more people than Finance. I was from an industrial engineering firm, they practically laid off 70% of the project team in 2003 because the contracts weren’t coming in. Many of my friends from manufacturing side got laid off when their factories relocated. The service industry is another one that hire/fire is a daily affair also.

First off, what you have stated are pretty standard facts that anyone who reads the newspaper occasionally will know, calling that your ability to forecast the future as a result of your engineering skills is carrying things too far.

Indian and Pinoy FTs taking over service jobs? Euro debt crisis coming and Asia will be affected? Seriously are you for real? This is considered engineer foresight? I think my bochap housewife mum reached the same conclusion as you did 6 months ago.

No issues with that, you stick with what you believe & I acknowledge that, all I’m trying to say is that most of us “other engineers” do have more earthly considerations to take care of and being “useful” in this world for “greater good of nation” is not high on our agenda.
You guys can really write well. Awesome!