Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Out of business, out of job & out of luck, Need Advice!
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2012, 10:37 AM
Unregistered

Hi Killharder,

I have tried that as well, but I have been fortunate to find a job within 3 months.

Whereas for your case, you have failed business and that would be hard to justify for some potential employers.

But if I were you, I would tell them employers frankly the reason for why you have decided to leave (maybe you can skip the part of not happy with your boss and leave without a job). Maybe a simple twig, like you have gone into a business venture with a friend and it didn't work out well after within a certain period of time. You should emphasize on what you have done in your business venture, like what sort of products you are selling/making, what types of strategies you have adopted, why did your business fail in the first case. Some potential employers will be interested to know because it tells you about the entrepreneurial spirit of the individual, not many brave souls out there is willing to sacrifice a stable job to venture out.

In this way, you would be able to look for higher responsibilities roles, than mere operational roles. The key issue is to how hard you will try to prove yourself to the future employer, and that is what makes the difference.

I wish you the best in your career search.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killharder View Post
Hi there,

Need kind advice here.

At the age of 37, unable to stomach my boss's tyranny, I left the job within a year abruptly. My pay was $6k then. I started a unplanned business and ended up losing a fortune with my business partner who later declared bankrupt (but not me). Although I am down and out, I started sending tons of resume, signed up few expensive Entrepreneur/Tradings' courses and visited CDC. After 2 years of job hunting, exhausted my contacts and savings, I found my option is getting lesser and lesser with bills piling up fast with 2 kids to feed. I even went to learning institution to be selected for 'place & train' program on some junior IT positions as I don't mind severe pay-cut but they ask me to wait & wait......

On CDC, they finally give me a call 6 mths later & the officer asked me "Have you found a job yet?" I heart sank as I am expecting answer such as "I may have jobs opening for you.."

On 2 rare given job interviews, they asked less than 5 questions and the whole session ended less than 5-7 minutes. I was thinking my age & unsuccessful business venture could be a deterring factor.

At the age of 39, I am totally lost. Life has lost its color and I don't really wish to end up to be a taxi driver as I don't wish to disappoint my unknowing aging parent.

Tks for reading.