Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Out of business, out of job & out of luck, Need Advice!
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2012, 10:14 AM
Unregistered

I read your situation and I empathize with you. Have this to share with other readers:

I myself had quit my job in a moment of anger (due to bonus/promotion disappointment) about 6-7 months ago. It was the first firm I was in and I was less than 5 years into my job. My boss had promoted a colleague over me and I was very upset cause I was expecting a promotion that year. On hindsight, I was too rash and too proud.

Credit to my previous boss, he had given me a few weeks to reconsider. Even set me up for interviews within the bank. He said that I was being rash and he didn't want me to quit in moment of anger. I didn't believe him and thought he was just putting up an act. Nevertheless ,we have since made-up and he invited me back to his house over the new year. Also offered me my job back.

Once I quit without a job, I started to contact head-hunters and even competitors (who had wanted to hire me before). All of them shunned me and asked questions about the "real reason" why I quit. They assumed that there must be something wrong. Even if they did believe that it was not a performance issue, they didn't take well to the fact that I could quit on impulse (afraid I would do this on them)

Before, when I was still in my job. My team was ranked top 3 in SG. Had offers of 30-40% pay rise plus bonus guarantee to switch firm. Once I quit without a job, all these offers disappeared. After 3 weeks, I started to beg around.. even offer to take pay-cut.

Word got out.. back to previous employer. Some of my ex colleagues asked me to consider returning. Thank god that I finally found a job through a friend's help. This was in a totally different line (although still in financial services).

Lesson learnt. I definitely won't repeat this again.