Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - MAS for Mid Career Professionals
View Single Post
Old 15-12-2021, 10:25 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I really want to serve the public and be proud of what I am doing.

Unlike many others here, salary is not a big issue for me.

But everyday, my morale gets drained.

I want to get things done, but in front of me, there are 99 layers to clear. These are simple things. I do not need so many layers. These extra layers do not value-add at all, and I say this without mincing my words.

The process is a disaster. Bosses here have become so risk-averse, asking tons of immaterial questions. It has made life a nightmare for officers who want to get things done. Some things are simply unknowable until we try. Yet the bosses insist they have to be known before we even try. Can anyone see how ridiculous this it? Many of my colleagues just accept it and smoke their way through. But I want to do the right thing. Unfortunately, doing the right thing here is very hard here. People only hear what they want to hear. Taking the path of least resistance is the easiest thing to do, but it is often the wrong one. But hey, why try so hard right?

I work in a regulatory department. When I liaise with foreign counterparts, I find their thinking to be a lot more mature. They are able to evaluate situations holistically. They also have a lot more trust in their colleagues. This is unlike here. My bosses are so focused on narrow points that they miss the bigger picture. They have trouble accepting that what we currently have is in not ideal compared to foreign jurisdictions, so they force themselves to justify it. They are so afraid of explaining our regulations that our most common suggestion is for the other party to seek legal advice. They have so little trust in others that they even want to get involved in areas where there are already plenty of experts sitting in.

With each passing day, I find my desire to do the right thing dissipating. Unfortunately, this has been difficult for me. I cannot live with contradictions, but my colleagues don't have this problem at all. They have absolutely no qualms providing suggestions that are half-baked and will only lead to greater problems down the road. Every time I do this, I find my soul shedding a tear.

My colleagues are very friendly and nice people to talk to. But I cannot understand why MAS works in such a bad way. Is it unique to MAS? Is it to unique to the Public Service? Is it unique to Singapore culture? I really don't know. The same colleagues tell me not to feel bad about it. If anything screws up, it is on MAS, not me. That is true, and perhaps necessary to convince myself to take the path of least resistance.

Alas, I hope for sunnier days, but all I see are dark clouds on the horizon.
This not only happen in your dept..... fyi