Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 13-10-2021, 10:36 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
This is true. If you're in the know, you'd know that Withers has done serious house cleaning in the past few years, ruthlessly dropping the less profitable practice groups and many local partners. Most of the old birds that formed the core KW aren't there any longer.

In fact, I would say WKW is probably more "international" than many of the other JLVs and FLAs around, by virtue of the massive house cleaning. Just that Withers has always been a niche private client and tax London law firm so their peers obviously aren't MC or Silver Circle

Its kinda ironic because what occasioned the KW-RHT split almost 1 decade ago was, to my understanding, a difference in direction of how the firm should internationalize. Both firms are in vastly different places now.

based on what I hear the OP is more or less correct. Withers purged an entire KW team I heard.

Withers is an established legit firm in the private client area, and the work spills over to the other practice areas, including disputes. Firm wide stuff once in a while etc (e.g. firm wide events / training for everyone, regardless if you're USA / UK / HK / SG etc.) and operationally you feel like they try to standardise practices across firms (e.g. ironically sometimes the practices of our colonial masters are better for our well being than the way some local firms are run), so you don't get that apartheid feeling like in other local-foreign tie ups here.

Locally, I heard WKW salaries are quite ok now. For UK, they're not competitive against the other firms that people in this forum like but it appears that it suits some (s://.chambersstudent.co.uk/withers/true-picture/463/1).

So I don't think it's accurate to say that WKW is a sinking ship.