Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How much are you earning per annum?
View Single Post
Old 28-11-2011, 12:46 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
You have not been reading the papers recently, I believe. The Minister for National Development, Mr Khaw Boon Wan, just mentioned in Parliament as recent as 2 weeks ago, that he has no plans to rein in foreign demand for private property, as we need to be mindful of the "serious economic and social consequences".

I can even pull out the media reports for you, if you need....

The bottom line: The PAP government realizes very late that it has gone far down the wrong road of no return in the housing policy arena, and the only way forward is to continue to prop up stubbornly high private property price levels by accomodating and even encouraging foreign demand. The costs of not doing so are horrendous, as thousands of Singaporean households would find themselves in negative equities over-night, having made their dream house purchases at sky high prices.

But this also means successive generations of Singaporeans would need to pay higher and higher prices to realize their "private property' dreams.

Short of legally forbiding Singaporeans from purchasing private properties, there are really little policy tools left in its arsenal
If what you say is true, then they are simply kicking the can down the road. You said "the costs of not doing so are horrendous", but I will counter that the costs of not taking a firm action now is much more horrendous in future.

All I can say is that I'm disappointed. I hope the bubble bursts before the next GE, and we can vote in WP as new government to clean up the mess. Whether WP will become another Obama (who is facing difficulties because he inherited the hard problems from the Bush administration), we'll wait and see.