Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Business vs Engineering Degree
View Single Post
Old 25-11-2011, 12:27 AM
Unregistered

Hmmm ... I think it's more accurate to say that sell-side on average pays more. Since sell-side traders tend to stay market neutral, it is more likely that a buy-side trader makes a huge trade when he predicts the correct upswing or downswing of the market.

Your opinion, usually common among most future financiers, is well founded. Though I have been reading of many kids who wants to immediately start on the buy side. While a big generalization, I'll say sell side gives you a more macro view of the economy while the buy side specifically demands that you know of one market and one product well. But like you said, they usually start trading one or two years after joining the firm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Well, at junior levels, sell-side pay more. That is why we work harder. Decent buyside outfits won't allow juniors to trade unless the size of the portfolio is really small, or the junior is just executing on order of the PM.

I would say it is better to start of at the sell-side and move to the buy-side at mid-late career, in my humble opinion.

Just like most people start off on Corp fin before moving to PE.