Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Management Consultant MBB Big4 etc etc etc
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2021, 07:07 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I’m working in big 4 audit as a year 2 associate and currently interviewing for a knowledge analyst role at one of the MBB. My goal is to become a generalist consultant, but its difficult to jump directly given the fact that im coming from audit.

Question is, how is the career prospect of a knowledge analyst? Is it possible to make a lateral jump to a consulting role? Is it a good career move to go from audit to MBB knowledge analyst or should I do an internal transfer to the big 4 consulting service line instead?
Both options are difficult, what do you want to achieve taking a long detour towards joining mbb? There are alternatives if you want to enter a higher paying interesting job.

1) moving into big 4/lower tier consulting: for evaluation sake I would assume you are not including the likes of tier 2 strategy houses (which are almost as difficult to get in as mbb), here you get the facade of being a consultant, but often the projects you do and the salary you are on will expose you are not a consultant. Still, the rare juicy project comes by and if you are lucky to get staffed, it’s a good cv builder. I know of some who have gone from Deloitte consulting to monitor to mbb. Again, very slim and long route

2) internal transfer from knowledge to consultant in mbb: I do know some who have gone into this, but have not heard of anyone becoming a consultant. Logically reasoning, you are competing for the brightest grads for the same role. Apart from potential, they have a longer runway than you, why would they transfer someone away from an existing role (that they have to backfill) to one that already has many bright candidates, without any proof you are better?

If these are your only two options, I would suggest 1. But really I’d ask you to reconsider your motivation for mbb

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app