Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career as Teacher
View Single Post
Old 28-08-2021, 12:16 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I am a TA currently in university. Was trying to plan my career progression in terms of position ibstead of rank. Do yall think it is reasonable to be a SH in 3 years, HOD in another 3 years. After 2 years of being HOD, do a HQ posting for 2 years and then be VP/P. Essentially I want to start earning 10k at SEO level within 10 years.
If you really manage to become a HOD, VP or P within a small number of years, your subgrade may lag behind because of the slowed down pace of promotions across the service. So you may end up being a GEO4 HOD, or GEO5 VP still waiting for promotion.

And even if you do get promoted to SEO grades quickly, your actual salary point may be near the bottom of those scales, so it might be 7 to 9k instead of >10k. To rise through the salary points quickly, there is really no shortcut except years and years of solid merit increments in between your promotion years.

Later on when you take on management responsibilities as a young RO, you may realise that even though you are a KP, some of your JHs (direct reports) who have served many more years than you are earning more than you. It is common to see SEO1s who were promoted fast earning much less than seasoned GEO4/5s.