Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - signing on in army(short term) vs working outside
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2011, 02:14 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I ask this because i intend to sign on and study pt degree which most of us intend to. Which vocation can allow this flexibility like 8-5 ? And which vocations have skills that is transferable to normal cillivian life?
Signing on as regular is quite subjective to people. After signing the bond, some straight away regrets. Because lack of freedom, too many guard duties, always jo bo lan (do nothing), and tons of useless project (so called improvement). Some even drag wearing the uniform in public places. Some decided to break bonds, but only to find that they can be released only at the last year of services. Some prefer to sign on forever, since it is stable, good bonus, not much stress, relax lifestyles, some can work shifts, etc. Some ppl just like to rot in it, so they like to stay inside as a regular. It all depends on the individual.

You should decide whether you want to continue the bond only after you sign the first contracts. No one can reallly decide for you.

I used to be a regular, after 6 yrs (old scheme), I get out without any degree cert. It was not easy. Employers don't regard those years of experience in the air force as work experience, in fact to most of them, it is a slackening jobs. I have to suffer pay cut, even though my same peers which did not sign up, is much better pay than me. Also, once you get out, you will be like a tortise in the private sector, everything so different from being a regular. And you will think of job hopping to get a higher pay job. However, if you are willing to work hard and upgrade yourself after the "conversion", you will catch up with your peers of the same age in no time. Now, I am in Sales line and managing a office. It boils down to your personal objective to stay focus and work hard.

The saying always go, the good will leave after 1st contract, the lazy one will stay on. No offence, but this is the way it works. Many regular after ORD goes back to ST Engineering to work on aircraft. IN the first case, they shouldn't have left the airforce.