Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 30-06-2021, 01:52 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Not sure if troll but I'll take the bait anw lmao.

Unless you studied in Oxbridge or LSE, you have no right to feel like a "successful person" for studying law overseas. The fact that you did not study in NUS or SMU means that you are already intellectually worse than 50% of the law aspirant cohort of your batch, since these 2 schools are more competitive than other foreign law schools on the scheduled list sans Oxbridge.

As a matter of fact, your default state should be to feel like a "failure" and work your way upwards from there.
Why do people on this forum feel the need to make such asinine comments? After you’ve been in practice for a few years, your university does not matter as much anymore. Employers value you based on your experience and quality of work. Whether you studied in NUS, Oxbridge or other universities in the UK/Aus has little to no bearing on the value you bring to a firm.

Ironically, MC and US firms take a liking to candidates who studied in the UK because a number of the partners are British, whether it’s for the London, SG or HK office, and it helps with establishing a rapport, stronger “cultural fit” and whatnot.

I got rejected by NUS and SMU. I went to what posters on this forum would consider a second tier degree mill UK University. I’m earning the new Davis Polk scale (with cravath scale bonuses) and my target hours are lower than what a Big 4 Associate is expected to pull. I don’t consider myself a “successful person”, but I don’t think I’m a failure either.