Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Software Engineer with rich background, what do expect?
View Single Post
Old 19-10-2011, 01:43 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanG View Post
Hi BjornL,
I think you have made a smart choice coming to Singapore despite a lot of the negative feedback you've received in this forum. I wonder how many of the contributors went to Harvard or Yale or the other Ivy league schools mentioned by the unregistered guest?

Asia is where it's happening now. Most of the major western Universities are tying up with Singapore institutions to offer equivalent degree programs in Singapore: MIT, DUKE, Harvard, etc.) to address this growth.

Many of the Multi-Nationals are merging, restructuring and changing their strategies to align themselves with the sustained growth seen in Asia which is stagnant in the Europe in the US.

In response to the following quote:

There aren't that many companies out there in the US or Europe hiring at the moment, mostly for the reasons I mentioned above. Austerity and market trends are deterrents for the big players to hire full time employees leaving many highly qualified engineers without opportunities to make use of the skills and education they have developed.

The desire for and apparent accessibility of "Cheap" foreign talent addresses a somewhat unsophisticated level of development problem. Lots of people can just bang out code. There will always be a need for that kind of skill level, but there is often not a lot of creativity in this labor pool.

This category is not likely to have the ability to take a step back and really understand the bigger picture. That is what differentiates your standard cheap developer from a creative developer who innovates and leads.

BjornL, your's is a rather specialized background that could be considered valuable to the right company.
Our company is the distributor for Exalead in Singapore and when you have some free time after settling into your program, I would like to arrange for us to meet for a coffee and talk about your plans. Call me anytime @ +65-9125-0872.
Just because you want to earn a hefty commission by getting him a job, you can actually stoop that low to misinform him and depriving him of better opportunity else where. Shame on you!