Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Whats your net worth
View Single Post
Old 15-10-2011, 02:52 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Thanks Scholar. Good summary.

The issue is that the example provided ($80k saves $40k, so why can't $200k save $100k, implying "gosh you must have no self control in respect of lifestyle spending") is flawed, misleading, and simplistic.

The examples cited (tax and parental obligations) are just obvious example. Lets go into lifestyle differences:-

- Small car ($1,500 to $2,000 per month, including road tax, insurance, petrol and parking)
- House ($3.9 to 4.4k per month for 80% mortgage on $1mn property for 20y assuming 1.5 to 3% interest rates, which is about $2.9 to 3.4k per month more than the $80k guy staying in a HDB flat from the govt where I assume monthly payments are $1k)

Hence, you are talking about $4.4k to 5.4k per month more ($53 to 65k), just on very basic lifestyle choices (not BMW or city condos).

I am not saying "woe is me, look at my expenses" here, but all I am saying is, if you want to have an intelligent discourse, please engage on the same level. No point throwing out random numbers.
I think your main point is that lifestyle costs grow non-linearly.

My counter is that: even so, you are still better off with an upgraded lifestyle, and a likely higher level of saving (comparing in absolute terms).

Simple example: 80k guy saves 40k and lives a HDB lifestyle, while 200k guy leads a condo lifestyle spending 120k (3x that of poorer guy) and still saves 80k (double the poorer guy).

My main point is you're already much better off, so don't be petty and pay your taxes.