Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Sgx
Thread: Sgx
View Single Post
Old 14-10-2011, 08:54 PM
Macroguy

Numbers are all true.

Bonuses are similar, not exactly the same. Similar means in the range from S$50k to S$100k, meaning always around 6months bonus or less. Life is not always rosy in the banking sector. 2008, 2009 are the lean years for asset management firms in general with M&A activities, headcount freeze, cost cuts and so on. For example, the bonus for majority of UBS I-Bankers this year is the line "you get to keep your S$200k job".

Also, balanced funds managers are not considered the most sought after in this field. So, pay wise generally lags the star asset classes managers.

I work at a UK bank-linked firm, which has its fair share of troubles in the last few years. Its SVP band basically caters for folks with 12 years to 25 years experience.

As for why I quit trading stocks at home ---- I previously had not banking experience, so thought it is important to at least try life at that side. I could always quit and trade from home later.

As for the civil service questions ---- I was from a uniformed service. A local merit scholar that got a 2nd class lower honours degree unfortunately. However, due to good performance in the first two years, they decided to give me an "Emplacement" to place me on a Good Honours path. I believe emplacements are still in existence.