Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - ST Electronics
Thread: ST Electronics
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2021, 12:42 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I agree with you. Even though there are various teams to execute the technical part, the project manager is the one who drives the project. Imagine each team already has such heavy workloads from other projects, the PM is the one who keep the dates in check and keep the teams on their toes. The PMs may not know the technical side of things very well, but the soft skills involved cannot be overlooked.

One thing many people overlooked is that the PMs deal directly with their own management, as well as PMs or higher with the customers. This will set the tone for the project as well as negotiate the fairest terms for their own teams. Some horrible PMs in ST just throw their teams to their own devices and that caused the projects to go into disarray once development started.
That's why PM role are useless.
Just replace PM with Google reminder everyday trigger a notification to remind of deadline and update
A good project manager is a servant in nature.

Basically project manager is the go to guy to solve problem.
Project manager, the paint is wrong color. We need new color paint. When can we get it...

Project manager go and liase with paint distributor to figure out why the paint was wrong. Was it sent wrong. Etc. Then project manager liaise with the painter on the delivery date. Make sure everything is okay. Apologise to them etc... Buy coffee. On the day or the delivery. Make sure he is at the site and inspect the paint and verify with painters everything okay. OK now let's talk schedule...

That's is the true nature of a project manager role.

But reality is project manager have became the entitled role of I'm paid the most. I sit in my own office. Paint got problem ah? Forward email to fresh grad to find out why. Fresh grad dunno. Painter complain how to meet delivery. Project manager always away in meeting. Unreachable. Or simply don't care. Turn out the whole order was wrong. Someone ordered red instead of white.

So project manager just write email demanding someone to be answerable. Anybody but him...

See the difference?
Can't see the difference. Then like I said project manager role can be replaced by a daily todo list or a reminder la. Okaaaay.

Alot of project manager or division manager paid 10k etc. But they don't care.
So why pay an overrated project manager?

Alot of tech companies already realised this. Especially in Chinese tech companies. Those middle manager all sacks. Tech companies need tech talents. Not so called project manager.

In ST still got all this project manager. Just to be paid project manager salaries. But they don't actually serve the project like the analogy.

Basically think of it as its your own house. If you don't sort out the paint issues, you get a wrong colored house. So use all your resources, time, intelligence, contact to resolve the issue. If small issue then not worth the sweat.

Alot of project manager get access to landed property and condo la. Paint not their problem. Wrong brick not their problem. Electrical wiring not their problem.

Everyday just see them using the condo facilities like relaxing at the bar or swimming pool enjoying life while they delegate the work to their maids..

That's the project manager in todays world. And that's why we don't need so many project manager.
The way forward is project manager need to be paid lower. Like every other employee. Then every quick nobodu will want to be project manager.