Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 17-04-2021, 01:23 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
You’re great! But I just wanted to check how’s the hours like?
Genuinely interested to know
V up and down and based on department so experiences vary. K&E commonly thought to the be worse but query how much of that is just rumour/generalisations. Expect at least 1700 annualised and above, but I've done 50% of that in the last 3 months and then billed just 20 hours this week (I'm in leveraged finance). Some peeps in the restructuring team have gone over 3000 hours during Covid and those in tax/IP/reg might do around 1500. We all get paid the same at junior levels though so don't buy into the glamour/prestige **** and think corporate/M&A is where its all at. Do what you like and not what others think is cool.

What that also means is that hours in a US firm isn't too far from MC (in London at least) and likely better than Singapore.

More to the point - don't wear your hours like a badge of honour. Beasting 3ams every day doesn't make you better than anyone else and looking down on those that do (or want) 9-5s basically helps your bosses justify working you to the bone. No shame in looking for work life balance and hopefully your firm thinks the same too.