Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - ST Electronics
Thread: ST Electronics
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2021, 08:28 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chua View Post
Does ST put a lot of emphasis on paper qualifications? A headhunting agency called me up for a job 2 weeks ago about an assistant engineer/senior tech position. I hope I did the right thing by listening to my friend to decline the agency. I am already engineer 2 in a MNC.

My friend told me that he responded to an agency's invitation and went for an interview in ST about 4 years ago. He is about 10 years older than me and I know he has more than 10 years of experience currently managing projects in many parts of the world. He was promoted to a program manager in another american MNC like last year during COVID and he is certified PMP but he only has a diploma. But he was only offered a position of an assistant engineer and the interviewer even got confused because he could not get over the part of a diploma holder being a project manager. But he did say that the interviewer was respectful though.
Cause diploma holder in ST are just those maintenance. Technician. Warehouse people...
If you don't have degree, your pay grade is capped.

I believe non recognised degree also not eligible. Meaning you will be called principal technician instead of principal engineer. Pay scale. Grade etc.

Well basically I'm a degree holder. I worked in mnc where degree is basic requirement. Everyone has degree. In fact I would argue and say master is getting norm.

So non degree is really impossible.

So what ST does is they encourage diploma holder to get degree. Thru private uni like sim part time etc and their boss will support them.

Its sad but if you don't have a degree you can't compete.

America company is different. America company got education or not. Doesn't matter etc.
This is Singapore company...

Although I can't say where those senior managers are they degree holders or diploma cause they keep their education background very secret.