Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Compare civil service salary
View Single Post
Old 21-09-2011, 11:28 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
By the end of this month, I will be leaving my civil service job, moving into a brand new role that is going to be more challenging, with greater prospects, more opportunity, better visibility and clearer KPI. Salary will increase by 20%.

The downside is that I will be working much longer hours and am liable to get kicked out real fast if things do not work out. That's the norm in a corporate environment really. I accept this and plan to slog for it.

This is a move that I have been contemplating for years. The civil service job is stable, pays relatively well and I knock off right on the dot most of the time. I joined the civil service at a time I yearned for stability. I am leaving because I already know the ending to this story. I do not mind this ending. It's a end where I will retire in my current job, performing the same role for the next 25 to 30 years. Yes, it is possible to be promoted, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I decided that this isn't how I want my story to end. It's a little like reading a book from the beginning after someone told you the ending. There's no trill in it anymore.

That said, I still do not know if I am making the right move. I would't really, until I look back years later.
There is no need for a melodramatic recital for what is essentially a simple job change...