Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Whats your net worth
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2011, 09:02 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by I want to retire early View Post
Hello everyone,

I read with great interest the comments made by many here. Thank you for enlightening me.

I have been working for many years and feeling rather tired now. I'm only 55 but feel like so much older.

I'm planning to stop work. Here is my retirement plan.

1. Rent a house in JB for RM2K (S$800) per month.

2. Rent out my HDB flat (fully paid) for S$3K (RM7K) per month.

3. Live off from the difference i.e. RM5K. This is enough if you live simply with just your wife.

I also have about $300K in cash for emergencies.

Is this a stupid idea? Anyone here has done this? If so, which estate in JB do you recommend? I prefer if there are many Singaporeans living in the estate.
I'm like you except I own a small bungalow, which is too big for me now that the kids are gone. I reckon I can rent it out for at least S$12K/month. My wife and I should be OK to rent a 500sq ft shoebox condo near MRT for $2K/month as a base to store our things and then spend the remaining $120K/yr travelling around the world for the next few years. Thought of spending just 3 months in Singapore during the year and the rest all over visiting kids who are abroad etc. Budget would be about $30K airfares for two round the world business class ticket and economy tickets for regional travel and spend the remaining $90K on food an accomodation. That's about S$300+ per day, which should be more than enough for hotels and food even in Europe and US.