Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Decision Making, Please Advice.
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2011, 04:46 PM

vision is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I don't know you, all 5 pointers I raised are taken directly based on what you have wirtten over here. If any of them are wrong, then tell us where it is wrong. No point giving generic comments like "check out the facts before you start shooting." I don't even know who you are, how am I supposed to check out the facts other than basing it 100% on what you said earlier?

I stand by my comments that you are not going to get anywhere no matter what you study if this is the hap hazard way you approach life's major decisions. Call this an uncle who has seen a lot perspective. Can't prove to you on that, but I've seen enough of people with similar attitude to know with a high statistical confidence what will happen.

Different people different approach is a statement that is so broad that it is meaningless. There are lots of correct apporaches and of course much more wrong approaches. That is not a blanket for you to tolerate your own faulty attitude to making critical decisions. Like I pointed out earlier, you had 5 decision points in your life so far and the framework in which you approach each of those is quite simply no different from just tossing a coin.

I can of course follow some kind forumers here in sharing with you insights on the maritime industry or offering ad-hoc comments on what course I think you should take. But ask yourself honestly, you are going to face another 50 or may 500 more of such decsions in the rest of your career, do you really think the results will be different if you employ the same way of probelm solving as you are doing now?

I must apologize for the previous comment. I know i need to face the facts and i'm thankful that you pointed them out. 苦口良药, sometimes what we need are just harsh facts. I will be as honest with my thoughts as possible.

First of all, yes, i am clueless then when i was 16. Then, i believed that no matter what, if i persist and put in effort to excel, i will do well regardless of the different situations that i might not exactly like. The days in poly was much competitive, and political. I guess that is the reason why i have such "shadow" against what i've studied. During my internship, i was neglected for 7 months. I was keen, and hardworking for the first 3 months or so. For the entire duration i tried my best to learn as much as i can, but the issue is that my colleagues were not keen to share much with me. Moreover, after seeing how things operate in the school and industry, i somewhat am against the industry more.

I admit that i am narrow-visioned. The reason for not transferring out is simply because i'm unwilling to waste the 6 or 9 months of my life. I guess this is the consequence now. Also, i was confused and lost after graduation. I wasn't able to figure out anything then, so i took my parents' advice to grab a place @ Maritime Studies, and i can use the time in NS to think thoroughly on what course do i truly want to take.

I said that i will be repeating what i've studied again. This is because Maritime Studies is actually, a course built onto the poly course, as told by our lecturers. No doubt that NTU took the curriculum and perhaps made some modifications, and what will be taught will be more in depth. However i still fail to see that value of what will be taught based on what i've learnt. Yes, i am indeed judging the course too quickly.

And yes, i am limiting myself to the choices i can possibly have. I am afraid that i can't catch up with the level of math/ science to those who studied related courses in their poly days, or jc grads.

I understand the meaning of your words. Slamming the cold, hard fact right at me, waking me up from the mentality of "running away". Thanks, i needed the last paragraph, badly.