Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Compare civil service salary
View Single Post
Old 17-03-2021, 10:19 AM
Unregistered

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
am the above poster. Quite sick of gahment life - should I leave and find another role in a GLC/MNC type? I am a HR person - there my corporate function - designation is Deputy Director
Hi there, relatively surprised to see your post with entire salary/career details, and the career related question. I can tell the authenticity of the data because I was previously a civil service DoP (Director of Personnel, old term) for more than a decade (but already left the system 3 years ago). At your age and at current rank/salary I think you are progressing relatively stable, and doing quite alright. If you ask me, you are asking the wrong question at the wrong time. You joined civil service at age 30, MX11, spent 5 years to make it to MX10, DD level, salary 9.5k.

As HR expert yourself I think you should know you are progressing ok all things considered. Maybe you are sian and thinking of leaving because you know that the next stage is much harder to cross over, and it takes many more years, even if you beat the competition. You have roughly 2k before you hit the salary ceiling (if you cross the 9.75k center bar), and it's a long creep from here. However, like I said, you asked at a wrong timing. You came in from private at 30 and spent 5 years to achieve what you have now. Given the macro environment now, positions at DD and D level are highly competitive out there. Your latest 5 years experience in civil service is not exactly the most sort after by private sector. Even if you take your time to wait for a competitive offer, what makes you think you can survive after being 5 years in the safe environment of the civil service? The risk is significantly higher for you if you don't make it when you cross over. Pls bear in mind that finding a replacement job at D and DD level is quite a different ball game compared when you are M/SM/AD level - those levels are easy to hop around soliciting next competitive offers. Hence, my personal advice is - don't rush. If you really want to leave, make 100% sure you are not going to regret later leaving a very stable career in the cs. Also, consider internal options to break up the monotony - e.g. if you are in Ministry, look for Statutory Board switch, find those that fit your career aspiration, SB always have surprises as they have quite a different culture from the ministry and from each other too. If you are already in the SB, think of switch function/division, many SBs are very pro job rotation to build up leadership mobility and to retain talent.

All in all, think twice and make sure you are 100% comfortable with the risk involved before you jump - you don't want to be caught in-between jobs in such times. All the best.