Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Case Study 5 - Shrewd Millionaire Employee
View Single Post
Old 31-05-2008, 09:27 AM
Howcome---

Default 1815

I really don't get people who spend beyond their means. I know a lot of people like this. When I talk to them, they say, "Of course you can save, you earn so much!"
But then I could save about 1500 while I was earning 3000 (take home pay 2400) many years ago. Even after paying my rent.
I still take the MRT and bus these days, taxi when needed. Many of my friends earning less than half of what I earn already have cars. On installments.
Many of them eat at 100+bucks/pax restaurants regularly. I'm happy with bringing my loved ones to Sakae Sushi or Din Tai Fung.
Many of them saves for a few months then burn it all away on a 14-day Europe vacation or whatever. I'm happy with going to Thailand or Bali at most twice a year--food there is much better (and cheaper!) than in Europe anyway.
My point is, saving up is not that hard. Right now I save/invest almost as much as what my entire salary was a few years ago. Much harder is to increase your income radically. Because just by saving up, sure, people can become millionaires relatively easily with a reasonable pay and careful investment decisions.
It's a question of how fast? Do you prefer to be millionaires in your 40s or 60s? How about being one in your 30s?