Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - No progression in civil service...
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2021, 10:34 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konfidant View Post
Hi all, I'm quite interested in knowing how my peers around my level are doing right now in the private sector, because I'm feeling stuck and helpless in the civil service.

I graduated with BA in Econs/Pols from an overseas university (UMelb). No honours because I couldn't afford another year of study, but got the highest level of a pass degree. Got hired by a Ministry almost fresh out of school. Made full Manager fairly early (< 6 years). Life seemed good.

But, for the last 3 years, I've been in the same position with no sign of further progression in both salary or rank.

The first time someone got promoted over me, I let it go; the promotee entered around the same time as me, and performed at a similar level to me. Plus, he was a scholar; I understood this was a big bonus.

The second and third chances for promotion were really a kick in the face though. People junior to me, who often came to me for assistance, got promoted over me for the last 2 years. Only difference between me and them is that they were scholars who took their honours year. Up to this point, I thought if I worked hard and proved my steel, I could beat any scholar. Now... I'm not sure anymore.

My people like me, and work well for me. I hang out with my boss at least once a week and we get along. I told him how I felt last year and he said he would try to look into it. Then someone else is promoted over me. When I ask him about it, he says he has not much control over it.

Now I feel underappreciated and betrayed for my loyalty. I spoke to two peers of similar experience in the private sector (9-10 years in finance-related fields), and both earn about 50% more than me.

I feel like I've given my best years to the government for nothing. Should I switch to the private sector? Maybe take this chance to pursue an MBA?

If anyone has any kind of convincing argument for staying in the civil service, would love to hear it.
I am commenting according to what I have read on your posts:

First, no point comparing to your peers in finance. Their sector is known for high paying jobs but also the first to go when a financial crisis hits. You should compare your salary to somebody of similar job scope and industry.

Your pay is now 8K, which is a lot compared to many ordinary Singaporeans. Many Singaporeans struggled to even reach manager post, let alone 8K salary after 10 years in a company. It is very normal in the private world that someone of your experience is earning half your pay. You should have heard how many people in the private sector envy civil service paychecks.

You should be content with what you are having now. If the situation is so bad at work, you would have decided to jump no matter what.

As the Chinese saying goes, comparing with other people just creates more frustrations.