Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Working in a bank
View Single Post
Old 29-08-2011, 08:22 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advise View Post
Thanks everyone for your feedback. Glad i asked this question, didn't expect negative response from all..

Im in middle office and not a business/engin grad. As im exposed to market sensitive info, i cannot trade on my own acc.

Im not sure how much a fairly good/ average trader would make in a prop firm (given the profit splitting and all those misc fees), but i would imagine it to be much more than the 2k base salary..just like good brokers and insurance/property agents. Successful ones will definitely make a lot. But the flip side is that im gg to be axed and lose my pants if i dun make the cut..

After reading thru everyone's comments, i guess it's probably safer to do something not so interesting in banking but which allows me to make 100k/annum in 10 years' time..(i hope)
I suppose there are 2 questions here ie are u looking to switch because (i) of potential upside in pay or (ii) of more interesting job scope ?

Assuming its the former, and if you are looking at a pay of $100k as sufficient, then I would say its safer to stay put. My advice would be then to stay put and actively talk to head hunters and try to move to a foreign bank in the same role. U can quite easily hit your Target payscale in a couple of years.

Now if you are looking at a payscale of $300+ pa (not difficult if u r in front office in a bb, but quite hard for everyone else, and very hard to move from local mid office to bb front office) , then u need to look outside the box and career risks such as the prop opportunity you mentioned above may be necessary. No risk no return right ? But at the same time, if you take the plunge in chasing your $300++, you need to understand that in swinging for the fences, there is a good chance u miss, and be comfortable with the potential for failure.

So at the end of the day, the optimal move depends on your career objectives.