Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Working in a bank
View Single Post
Old 28-08-2011, 08:15 PM

Liverpool is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advise View Post
Hi guys,

Hoping to seek some opinions/advice here.

Abit about myself: I'm almost 30, local uni, currently working in a bank, drawing about SGD4100/mth,

and looking forward to get married next year.

I'm thinking of switching to prop trading in a small firm soon..but that would mean getting a huge pay cut as typically the base salary would be very low (but upside potential due to profit sharing). And if i don't succeed, in my next job search, the employer is most likely gg to offer me based on my last basic salary which is very low. (I believe employers do not look at your no. of years of work experience, but rather your last drawn salary and thereby giving you a % above that)

Should I take the plunge? If I do not, and just stick to my job over the next few years, i think i'll be earning a very decent salary in banks. If you were in my position, would you risk your career to take up a, say $2k or less trading position with profit sharing?

Any advice/opinions much appreciated, esp. those who's been there, done that.
I have a fren who went that route and quit, he's now back at his own job. He was scalping SGX stocks everyday and he said its hard because SGX is not NYSE.

depends on your passion. U may want to trade at night first, and if you are consistent then take the plunge. But then again if u can do well consistently on ur own, u wun want to join a prop firm just to trade.

wats ur job in the bank, maybe can internal transfer and do some trading related function or at least something related like Treasury functions which you can trade currencies and other stuff to hedge the bank's position.