Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Really that bad for engineers?
View Single Post
Old 25-08-2011, 06:15 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimless74 View Post
hi unregistered,

thanks for encouragement.
i cant help losing heart as the day goes by as there is no calls from headhunter or job agent (in SGP and in China)

yes i do agree with u on the technical capabilities, these days most R&D software stacks are all reused, not much coding, it is just porting and fixing bugs here and there.

thanks for the tip for interviewing and experience sharing
i am trying to think is it a mid life crisis and is it engineering " time over" or "game over" for me.
trying to search for new greener patch of grass

thanks again!
appreciate it
While searching for jobs, try to also pick up iOS or Android development, and start freelancing (or "consulting") - who knows you may hit jackpot this way.

I myself am building multiple streams of income through software products (mobile and web), giving tuition and doing adjunct teaching.

Already left my IT job in a bank. I wasn't retrenched. I left because I realize there's a limit to career advancement and job security is not 100%, though I was well paid (by your definition). And I was a little ambitious in wanting to be a business owner and hopefully make a few million dollars before I get too old (don't laugh). Fortunately, I'm now reaching about 60-70% of last drawn pay, with more streams of income in the pipeline.

I'm same age as you. Good luck!