Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career Switch to Data Analytics - How difficult is it?
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2021, 03:12 PM
Verified Member

tcyeric is on a distinguished road
Default Career Switch to Data Analytics - How difficult is it?

Just a little background on myself, I have had quite a few years as a Business Analyst in the hospitality industry.

Sadly the local hospitality industry is quite "backwards" when it comes to the title of a business analyst and thus I am nowhere near the definition of what a business analyst is in today's context. While i do analyse figures, I do not use the current softwares like R/Python/SQL etc, my best claim will be that I am rather decent at Excel when it comes to analysis.

Given the decline in the hospitality industry in Singapore it is a matter of when I will lose my job and i was thinking of doing a "career change" to that of data analytics.

While I have attempted at applying via the Professional Conversion Programme I have had no success nor updates on any possible company(s) hiring. I at the meantime have done up quite a few courses on R and Python to learn/upskill myself.

While looking for jobs I come to realise that there are not many (if any) roles for entry level data analytics, is it really that difficult for the switch or is it just another case of "fresh graduate welcomed but need X years of experience"?

Do hope that anyone reading this and is from this line be able to advise on how I can make towards a successful transition. Thanks in advance!

TLDR: Sooner or later will be redundant in a suffering industry, finding it difficult to even get 1 foot into data anlaytics despite doing courses