Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Engineering and Technology Careers are Not Valued - Singapore is "High Cost Low Tech"
View Single Post
Old 25-05-2008, 11:39 AM
Nicholas---

Default 1747

While there is some truth in this article, I feel that there are other factors to consider.From what I know,not everyone in the banking industry earn big bucks.And even if some of them do,what does it come at the expense of?Longer working hours?More stressful working environment?Higher need of taking risk?Higher chance of getting retrenched or sacked during a financial crisis? Personally,I m an engineer working in a MNC in the oil and gas industry for the past 2 years since graduation from uni.I am already drawing a pay of 5K/mth.Compared to most of my peers who have switched to the banking industry,I think I am much better paid in terms of pay. Nevertheless,I do know of friends in the banking sector who are paid very well.But it is by merit that they are paid so well.Eventually,one has to be discerning and not think that everyone who joins the banking sector can expect higher pay than the engineers. Everything still boils down to your ability and desire to succeed. :P