Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Really that bad for engineers?
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2011, 12:09 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
i think it is the company that always forget that managers shld come from people working up from the btm and not just parachute them from somewhere else, or get fresh biz grads that think they can handle operations and management just because they 'studied' that from books.

there shld be a clear distinction between technical lead and biz&operations. i dont believe some stupid biz grad knows how to manage a group of engineers and knows what they do.

btw biz and operations can only be learn when u start working. but u cant learn engineering on the job right. u need some very good fundamentals and foundations. engineering is a skilled profession. people always forget that and engineers get unappreciated.

but the day has come where the real talent no longer wants to stay in engineering, and leave it to china and india to churn out engineer as a low level subpar bangla type worker. we shall see then how tech companies can survive then.

i think nowadays only america,korea,japan and maybe some part of europe(sweden,germany) still churn out the best engineering talent. because these are the talents that will create new products, create new wealth in the economy because their engineering education and culture trained them well. if not how do u think that tech companies like apple and google still do so well despite the economic recession?
This is the flaw i see, many engineers who get promoted to management level are naturally very technically inclined at what they are doing. The problem is when you have a very technically capable manager yet when it come to management and motivating his charges, that is a very different thing.

The problem is that the very boss who promoted these engineers into management level do not train them up proper into effective leaders and when the people under you start leaving, the very foundation of your company will be at risk when you cant retain your best talents.