Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Advice for SAF regular pls
View Single Post
Old 20-11-2020, 08:32 AM

anon2022 is on a distinguished road
Default Advice for SAF regular pls

I'm a SAF regular. Signed under officer scheme with 3 years of minimum term of engagement (MTE). During my second year in service, also signed to extend 1 year for the back-payment instead of sign-on bonus. I left one more month to complete MTE, then one more year to complete the bond. Understand that one year may seem short and the economy is not really good now, people around me are telling me to tahan just for another year, but I really don't feel like staying even for one more day since this job is not suitable for me and it has been mentally straining.

- If I break the bond, does it affect my job opportunity in the civic sector? Or do the civic sector even consider my job application? Also, does it affect the chance of me finding a job in private sector?

- I went to the manpower office to check the amount of money if I were to break the bond, but they are telling me that I must serve MTE and my bond cannot be break even if I am willing to pay. Apparently that's not the case, but I do not want to alert my boss first until I know if I can afford the money for breaking bond. Some colleagues told me just return back-payment for remaining year not served with interest, while some told me may need to return salary received so far, or even what I have yet to receive. Trying my luck to see if anyone has experience or know about breaking SAF contract?

- This is actually my first job. Any other considerations I should make before making the decision?

Advice is much appreciated. Thank you.