Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - is computer science a good choice for a degree?
View Single Post
Old 13-11-2020, 02:19 PM
Unregistered

I see a lot of people on reddit and this forum saying they regret not studying CS. As a CS grad these are some things I wish I knew.
- Not sure if these people know that getting into top companies requires serious Leetcode grinding. We are talking like 3 - 6 months outside of school/work studying something that has no relation to your job, and this doesn't even guarantee passing the interview.
- In SG, the offices of big tech companies (Google, FB ...) are mainly ops and sales departments. There is little SWE headcount, so getting in is quite tough.
- As many people have already mentioned, SWE must be prepared to learn things on their own accord. You commonly hear of people learning things that interest them after work and maybe working on pet projects. So if you are someone that just likes to cruise through, it can be done but you may be falling behind your peers.
I would say CS is worth it if you like coding and enjoy building things/solving problems. If you like finding out things on your own, learning more on your own accord, then CS is for you.