Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2020, 10:43 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Yep support staff. Anyway one firm I'm in delay bonuses till the next year. And bonus not even a month which is damned pathetic. And that is before covid 19 hits
I don't agree with comments like this. A firm's pay structure is something that firms are open and honest about right from the very beginning. If you have agreed to a certain pay structure, then you really shouldn't be complaining about it after the fact.

It's not like the company is cutting your pay or retrenching you. Many lawyers i know are trying their hardest to ensure that support staff are not adversely affected during this time, even if this means taking a paycut themselves. Complaining about measures (such as delaying bonus) so that more people can keep their jobs longer (trust me when i say the alternative is retrenchment) is not productive and casts a really bad light on you (especially if it is true that profit-centers are taking a hit to ensure you are not adversely affected).

As a senior staff member, i would be extremely disappointed if my support staff came to me with this complaint. I would also be less likely to give this staff member a bigger bonus when the firm is doing well. Why? Because i know this employee is not willing to suffer together with the firm when the firm is doing badly. I would rather reward employees who stuck with us through thick and thin. It is a showing of character.

Also, if the pay structure has changed due to a change in company policy (which is neither illegal nor unfair - there are many reasons for this) you can choose not to agree or find alternative employment.

There are many many companies (including MNCs) which adopt different pay structures. This could be due to a great number of reasons ranging from something as simple as the year for them is April-Mar and not Jan-Dec or a ploy to retain talent for as long as possible. Whatever the case - you have the option to move to another company if the pay structure is not to your liking.