Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Anyone jobless for a long time before?
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2020, 09:07 PM
Unregistered

Reading the posts here, I believe most of you are approaching job hunting wrongly.
Most of you understand it being a numbers game, but failed to realise it's actually more of a probability game.
Your goal is not to apply for as many jobs as possible, but to increase the probabilities.

1. The probability of you being the best candidate for the job. In interviews they mainly assess your hard skills and your soft skills. The best candidate must score high, not necessarily the best, in both to be considered for an offer. So your main goals in your spare time now should be improving on the relevant skills, so you can score high AND better than most other candidates, to be offered a job. There are tons of online courses, you can pick up hard skills like programming to digital marketing to advanced Excel functions. And soft skills like project management to public speaking to presentation skills. If you're hard working enough, you can learn one skill set per week. Jobless for 6 months? I expect a more confident you with 26 additional skill sets.

2. The probability of you passing each stage. You need to understand the purpose and objectives of each interview stage. HR is the easiest, as they just assess your hard requirements and if you can answer basic questions soundly. If you fumble even at questions like what makes you want to apply for this role, you seriously don't deserve the role. Hiring manager assess your hard skills and your working style, if it's compatible with him/her. The remaining are mainly cultural fit checks, just be yourself. Your goal should first and foremost to not screw up anything. Bad answers are worse than boring and unimpressive answers. What you want is to pass each round and end up in the final shortlist. So avoid mistakes like challenging interviewers, that's a straight path to the bin.

With this, you should try to increase your odds by passing each round. Best case scenario is only you make it through all rounds, with other candidates making mistake. Then you have a extremely high chance of an offer. Worst case, you pass everything, but in a shortlist with 2-4 other candidates. This is where hopefully your skills + personality + attitude trump the rest.

I too struggled with 10 months being unemployed a few years back when I just graduated from uni. In the past 2 years, I managed to get 5 offers and accepted 4, effectively doubling my salary with the 10-30% increment each time. And I know my approach works when I received offers even when I was job hopping every few months, which I suspect most cases I was the only final candidate. Of course, I applied and went for numerous interviews in the past 2 years too, while working full-time.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app