Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Is it worth using $100k of your 3 years savings to get a top class masters overseas?
View Single Post
Old 19-07-2011, 10:38 AM
Unregistered

Default alternative perspective

I don't mean to discourage you in any ways. All i'm saying is to give you another perspective of reality from just a person - me. So, take it with a pinch of salt.

My girlfriend completed M.Sc Finance from London School of Economics. Needless to say, the future seemed bright for her, with first class honours in B.Sc Economics and M.Sc Finance from undoubtedly top finance institution. However, it was VERY hard for her to get a job in the UK. Supply & Demand particularly in job market played a huge part.

It could be her tough luck, as she graduated in a year which many graduates became jobless, thus the sheer cut-throat competition. But I have to say, overcoming the long-distance relationship only has made our relationship stronger. When we face some disagreement these days, and thinking back about the tough times during her course of studies, things become... easier to cope.

After settling down for Analyst position, instead of the coveted Associate, it took her only a year and a half to be promoted to Associate. It may have taken longer, but the foundation is much stronger, and she's promoted quickly simply because she can do the job.

So... All i'm saying is for whatever degree you hold, it's as someone said above about MBA grads, that it's all up to individual's capability, and trust me, luck plays a huge part! She was unlucky almost 2 years ago, but luckier now.

To me and her, luck is 'preparedness meets opportunity'.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers